This video is a series of four interviews with Dr. Barry Weinhold, PhD. by Adam Lehman, who hosts an Internet podcast titled “Health Matters.” The interviews are about topics in the book by Dr. Weinhold titled, “GET REAL: The Hazards of Living Out of Your False Self.” These interviews also cover many related topics such as codependency and counter-dependency that are not in the book.
Here are some of the ideas that Barry shares with Adam in this series of interviews:
- Polarized thinking currently is the greatest threat facing this country and in many parts of the world. Humanity is stuck in either-or thinking. Everything is right or wrong, black or white, East or West, liberal or conservative, guns or no guns, etc. You may find yourself “splitting” against people and organizations that hold different views from yours. I believe this is happening because you, like most people, may be living out of your False Self. Your Authentic Self is hidden somewhere inside of you waiting patiently for you to wake up and discover it.
- The hazards of living out of your False Self. You may strive to live out of your Authentic Self, but at the same time you may struggle with having to use your False Self to please others in your life, just to get along. As a result, you may find yourself living out of your False Self more than you want. Even if you are aware of when you do this, you may not know how to change it.
- Childhood traumas. These traumas likely prevented you from completing your “psychological birth” to develop a fully individuated True Self by age three. If this did not happen, you will have to complete this important milestone as an adult or spend the rest of your life living out of a substitute False Self. I estimate that less than 5% percent of adults actually completed that milestone at age three. This book shows you how to move out of overusing your False Self and strengthening your Authentic Self.
- Your False Self shows up in two very different ways: the deflated or depressed False Self and the inflated or narcissistic False Self. The hazards you face by living out of your False Self, in either case, include victim behaviors, depression, anxiety, addictions, narcissistic behaviors, toxic shame, projections and poor decisions that likely involve trying to please others rather than being true to yourself.
- Finally, the interviews discuss the best tools Dr. Weinhold has found to help you identify and remove the hazards of living out of your False Self and reclaim your Authentic Self.
Part 1 of 4:
Part 2 of 4:
Part 3 of 4:
Part 4 of 4:
GET REAL: The Hazards of Living Out of Your False Self
Get Real, Dr. Barry Weinhold’s newest book, is available now.
Learn more at: https://amzn.to/2X94xUR